The fabric collage shoes are made with 6 pieces of perforated, printed synthetic fabric samples stitched on top of a denim canvas trainer shoes. The fabric remnants are then made into a tetrahedron bag with strap.
Transforming a pair of denim colored canvas trainers with several fabric sample pieces took a great deal of time. It’s because it was done with hand stitching instead of glueing. That said, the resulting fabric collage shoes look really fresh. There was enough fabric remnants afterwards, so I made a tetrahedron bag.
- a pair of canvas trainers
- 6 pieces of perforated printed synthetic fabric samples (around 12″ x 10″)
- tracing paper and cotton fabric scrap for pattern copying
- printed cotton fabric for bag and strap linings (around 24″ x 10″)
- 8″ zipper
- lobster clasp and D-ring
- Since the fabric samples are perforated, layer and stitch two pieces together in a way that there’s no see-through sections. Do that three times.
- With tracing paper, copy the shoes’ sections that will be covered with the layered fabric pieces.
- Transfer the pattern pieces to the cotton fabric to confirm their accuracy.
- Once they’re accurate, transfer the patterns to the layered fabric pieces.
- The layered fabric pieces are sewed on to the shoes by hand.
- The remaining layered fabric pieces are pieced together to form a 10″ x 20″ piece.
- Using the fabric piece, printed cotton fabric lining, and this tetrahedron bag tutorial, create a fabric collage tetrahedron bag.
- Make a bag strap from the fabric remnants, lobster clasp, and D-ring.
The time spent is truly worth it. The fabric collage shoes look fresh and perfect for sunny weather or any sunny occasions. The matching tetrahedron bag looks cute yet big and sturdy enough to fit a large smartphone inside.