This shirt dress made with various fabric remnants out of three men’s shirts. The bow ties can be tied either on the front or back.
After finished making two tops using a blue/light blue/white striped men’s dress shirt, I stored the remaining pieces for later use.
It also came to be that I started working on another project using a gray/lavender/white striped men’s dress shirt, but it got abandoned half way. Somewhere along the line, I thrifted yet another men’s shirt in blue/light pink/white stripes fabric.
This project went into planning and execution phase quite quickly, once I realized how the three men’s shirt pieces can work really wonderful together as one dress shirt with bow!
- One whole blue/pink/white striped men’s shirt
- Pieces from gray/lavender men’s shirt: front panel, back panel, shaped sleeve parts
- Pieces from blue/light blue/white men’s shirt: back panel, cuffs
It’s quite Frankenstein-ish when described in bullet points, but the actual process is actually very organic and fun!
- Take out the back panel of the blue/pink/white striped shirt and replace it with the back panel of the gray/lavender shirt
- Trim the lower front panel of the blue/pink/white striped shirt to make the shirt’s length match that of the gray/lavender shirt’s back panel
- Cut the blue/pink/white striped piece from #1 to four sections – 2 wide, 2 narrow
- Attach the wider pieces from #3 to each side of the gray/lavender shirt’s front panel
- Attach the narrower pieces from #3 to each side of the blue/light blue/white shirt’s back panel
- Attach #4 to the bottom of #1
- Attach #5 to the bottom of #2
- Cut out the blue/pink/white striped shirt’s shirt to elbow length and attach the blue/light blue/white shirt’s cuffs
- Attach the gray/lavender shirt’s shaped sleeves as waist ties, and finish the dress shirt’s side hems.
The subdued color palettes of all three men’s shirts work together harmoniously. The resulting shirt dress with bow is very stylish for spring or summer, and I certainly have gotten compliments whenever I wear it!