The striped wrap dress is refashioned from a vintage dress with big button closures. Without its original collar, lapel, and buttons, the refashioned dress has a more modern and chic summer vibe.
The vintage linen / polyester dress was big and frumpy-looking. The fabric has potential, but the big buttons and shoulder pads were distracting. With those elements and the lapel removed, I redesigned the dress as a closer fitting summer wrap dress.
- Vintage dress (as pictured above)
- Lining fabric remnant (less than 1 yard)
- Magnet and hook closures
- Take out the big buttons
- Flip the collar part inward and apply blind hem stitching
- Flip the lapels inward and continue downward towards the hemline
- Create and apply lining on the skirt to reduce transparency
- Once the lining is done, machine stitch the flipped lapels all the way down to the hemline
- Hand stitch magnet and hook closures as necessary
Below are the pictures of the refashioned striped wrap dress. The stripe fabric is front and center, and the cut is more modern and chic. It’s perfect for spring or summer!