DIY lace ribbon trim purse upcycled from a badly scuffed black patent synthetic purse. The process is straightforward – only ModPodge is necessary!
This half-moon shaped French Connection purse has been with me for more than 5 years. It has a velvet base and beads on one side, and plain black patent surface on the other.
I like this purse a lot; I brought it with me to numerous parties. Still, I almost made the mistake of donating it away during a Konmari spring cleaning several years ago. Thank goodness it didn’t happen.
Anyway, after many party trips, its plain black patent side got scuffed badly. The scuff marks became visible enough that I could no longer ignore it.
I searched my trim supplies to see what is possible, and thankfully I have more than enough to quickly refresh this purse!
Get Latest Updates
I didn’t take many pictures documenting the process. Apparently I was so in the zone. Plus, grabbing the phone to take pictures with my hands smudged in ModPodge was rather troublesome.
Fortunately, the process was relatively simple:
- Starting from the outer edge, I slowly and gently adhered the scallop curved lace ribbon trim remnant on the purse with ModPodge.
- Right underneath it, I repeated the process with the smaller, thin lace trim. It’s a bit challenging since the strip didn’t curve easily. I just did the best I could.
- I repeated step 1 and 2 for the 3th and 4th rows.
- Starting from the 5th row until the curving line met at the center, I only used the scallop curved lace trim.
- After all the lace trims are set, I layered ModPodge several times for layered sturdiness and finish. Each layer took about 30 minutes to dry.
Result: Lace Ribbon Trim Purse
Below are pictures of what the finished lace ribbon trim purse looks like. I finished it in time for my friend’s winter wedding!
Thanks for reading; until next time,
Disclaimer: I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website. Thank you for your support!
Never Miss a Post
Enter your email below to receive the latest Fafafoom Studio post in your inbox.
Read more DIY Project posts
My next experiment is dyeing with camellia flowers. Amongst all natural dyeing projects I have done so far, this is my favorite. Check out the pink delights! From fafafoom.com.
Five slow fashion tips to help you transform your sustainable wardrobe for a cleaner, greener future. A guest feature from Reese Jones for Fafafoom.com.
The garden has become a special place, especially during Covid-19 pandemic. During shelter-in-place period, I made garden decors by upcycling locally sourced items.
Notes from my first natural dyeing experiment with Japanese maple leaves in fall season. Three batches of dyeing using fallen leaves sourced from two different trees in the garden. So much to learn and enjoy afterwards.
A boro shirt made by accident, started with dipping a silk shirt in a bleach solution. Patched with various fabric remnants. From Fafafoom Studio.
First time making an outerwear from scratch! The sleeveless coat is made with altered tunic pattern and large neoprene remnants. From Fafafoom Studio.